Today I am sharing with you zucchini lasagna! I made one row of regular lasagna noodles in case Marcus didn't like the zucchini noodle...but turns out he loved it! I will be explaining how to make zucchini lasagna, if you would rather make regular noodle lasagna then just cook the lasagna according to package (I boiled a few noodles for 8 minutes) and then follow the same instructions below! We had this for dinner last night and of course had leftovers since it is just us two.. so here I am patiently waiting for lunch time so I can have more. Can't wait for you to try this delicious, guilt-free lasagna.
- 3-4 large zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 c ricotta
- 1/2 c mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 jar of Rao's marinara
- 1 big handful of spinach
- 1/2 c tomato pasta
- Salt & pepper
- Rinse and cut the zucchini into 1/4 thick
- Pre-heat oven at 425
- Line the zucchini over paper towels and sprinkle with salt-let them sit for at least 30 minutes if not longer. This process absorbs all of the water which helps make the lasagna set better. Once you have reached the desired time (I did about 45 minutes) rinse the zucchini off to get rid of the salt and then with a paper towel, absorb the excess water.
- Brush both sides of the zucchini with olive oil and then place in the oven to roast for 18-20 minutes
- While they are roasting, prepare your meat sauce
- In a large sauce pan add a dash of olive oil and brown your meat over medium heat
- Once the meat is browned, add the marinara sauce and reduce heat to low and let simmer!
- While that is simmering, in a medium sized mixing bowl..add the cheeses, egg, spinach, onion and garlic powder and mix well.
- I used an 11x11 baking dish and everything fit perfectly! In your baking dish, rub the bottom of the dish with tomato paste. Sprinkle Italian seasoning over the tomato paste.
- Start to assemble! Lay the zucchini down, then evenly spread the ricotta filling over each zucchini strip.
- Next layer, add meat sauce evenly.
- Repeat! Zucchini strip, ricotta filling, meat sauce. Repeat!
- Once you are done, top with the remaining meat sauce and a few chunks of ricotta cheese and mozzarella. To make it 'skinnier' I didn't add as much cheese on top as the typical lasagna.
- Bake on 425 for 20-25 minutes!
- Enjoy :)